Sunday, November 27, 2022

1885 Aban/C&O Wood and Iron Bridge over James River at Eagle Rock, VA

(Bridge Hunter; no Historic Bridges; B&T; Satellite)

The bridge was built by the Richmond and Allegheny RR, which became part of the C&O RR.

Postcard via BridgeHunter

Street View, Aug 2012

This bridge used wood and iron. As expected, wood was used for the compression members while iron was used for the tension members. It appears that wood was also used for bracing, railings, flooring, etc.
Apr 2010 Photo by  C Hanchey via BridgeHunter

1 of 4 photos posted by Bridges & Tunnels
Virginia has three combination wood and iron Pratt through trusses remaining over the James River. One of these is located in Eagle Rock.
In May 1883, the Richmond & Allegheny Railroad Company agreed with the Botetourt County Board of Supervisors to build three bridges over the James River as part of the construction of its mainline between Richmond and Clifton Forge. Presumably, the bridges were to encourage the use of the railroad by citizens on the opposite side of the river. The new Eagle Rock Bridge was completed in 1885 and was functionally bypassed in 1933.
The circa 1885 Eagle Rock Bridge was heavily damaged in a severe flood on November 5, 1985, and only one truss span survived.
➤ Check out more from the Eagle Rock Truss Bridge at

No comments:

Post a Comment