Thursday, August 11, 2022

Heating (and cooling) Plants

While my daughter was driving me around town so that I could take pictures, I saw four big smokestacks as we were going south on Ashland Avenue. And now that I'm looking at a closeup, I see some more smokestacks in the left background.

20171122 8133c
3D Satellite
It was obviously built as a heating plant for the University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System because you can see various pipes going over Taylor Street and into the building. Judging from all of the coolers mounted on the roof, it is also a cooling plant for the building. I wonder if the CTA line used to supply coal cars. I'm sure it has been converted to natural gas by now. I assume there are underground pipes so that it can serve other buildings in the University of Illinois Campus because the plant is so big. The UIC does have a lot of buildings in this area.

Cook County Hospital appears to have its own heating and cooling plant. And this one is probably for the Rush Hospital Medical Complex.

The ultimate cooling plants in the Chicago area are the Chicago District Cooling plants --- they make ice at night and pump cold water to customer's buildings during the day.

Indianapolis and Toronto also distribute chilled water to downtown buildings.



No comments:

Post a Comment