Saturday, August 15, 2020

Google Lemonade: Photo insertions end up at the end (but today it was in the middle)

I had been spending some time trying to figure out the intermittent nature of the photo insertion bug. The bug is that sometimes it puts the new photos at the end of the post instead of where the cursor has been placed. See the "Previous Testing" header below for this test effort. I had been ignoring this bug since Aug 1 since I wanted to maximize my productivity of writing interesting posts before Google's Doomsday of Sept. 1. But I'm writing about the new software again because I got another lemon. While trying to add a John W. Barriger III photo to Torrence Avenue and Aban/IHB/C&WI Bridges over Calumet River I hit the following problem. The first screenshot below shows where I was trying to add the photo. The "zzz" text is my workaround for the photo insertion bug. When the photo doesn't get added here, the text helps be find the desired location after a scroll to the bottom and cut (ctrl-X) the photo. That is, I do a find for the "zzz" and then past the photo where it was supposed to go. But this time when I went to the bottom, there was no new photo!!! After scrolling up, I found the new photo just three photos below where I wanted it (second screenshot). Fortunately, a paste (ctrl-V) does put the photo where I placed the cursor.

First Screenshot:



Second Screenshot:


Previous Testing

July 15

Since the size of a post seems to impact the performance of text insertion, I was wondering if the size is the cause of the intermittent behavior of where a photo is inserted in a post. Since I can't figure out how to easily determine the size of a post, I include a link to the post. The location of where I tried inserting a photo can probably be found by looking for the photo that has a left-justified caption because that "clear formatting" bug still exists.

photo 01: good
photo 02: bad
photo 03: bad, and it hung with the "thermometer" almost full for several seconds. Fortunately, it finished as I was typing this.

I had to abort testing with the new version. During the "photo 03" test, after I moved the photo from the bottom to where I wanted it, the photo was left-justified. And clicking the center justify doesn't fix this. And since the new new version as taken away HTML editing, I can't use my trick for how to move a photo from the bottom to where I want it. So I had to cancel this update and redo the update with the old version.




My disgust with the new URL interface got reinforced today. In the old interface, with one mouse click on some hot text you can see the beginning and end of the URL associated with that text. The new interface requires multiple mouse clicks and key strokes to see the end of a URL. Today I learned that when you just look at the value of an existing URL it marks the page as updated even if you never change the value of the URL.


July 16

I found where they put the new HTML edit icon so I'm back to testing the photo-insertion-in-the-wrong-place bug.
1 photo: good
5 photos: good
1 photo: good
1 photo: bad
1 photo: bad
1 photo: good
1 photo: bad
1 photo: good


July 17

1 photo: good

July 19

1 photo: bad
1 photo: bad, I just left it at the end. Note that you can't add anything after it because it ends with </table>. My normal workaround is to go HTML mode and add zzz to the end then go back to compose mode and delete the zzz. I didn't bother with this one.

July 21

1 photo: good
1 photo: bad
1 photo: bad, switched back to the old version because I needed to get some work done. It not only puts the photo at the end, you can't select it to move it to the correct location.


July 24

1 photo: good
1 photo: good
1 photo: good
2 photos: good  If adding a photo at the end, you have to be sure to first add empty lines and insert it before the last blank line. (The old version would put any needed <br/>'s after the photo.)
2 photos: good
1 photo: bad

July 25

1 photo: good
1 photo: good
1 photo: bad

July 26

1 photo: good
1 photo: good
1 photo: bad

July 27

2 photos: good
1 photo: good
1 photo: good (I checked for URL contamination and that bug still exists.)
1 photo: good
(I forgot and cut&pasted text using the new version as the source so now there are bogus links in these notes.)
5 photos, 63 photos, 13 photos: good

July 28

5 photos: good except the blank lines between odd and even photos are missing
1 photo: good

July 29

2 photos: good
1 photo: good
3 photos + 1 photo: good except for the blank line that was removed after the first photo
4 photos: good except for Add Caption throwing away every other blank line
1 photo: bad
1 photo: bad

July 30

1 photo: bad
1 photo: bad

Aug 1

9 photos: bad


No comments:

Post a Comment