Sunday, March 30, 2025

1845-1899 Old Beauharnois Canal and Aqueduct

Western Remnant: (Satellite)
(Aqueduct)

A Street View from the western (upstream) end:
Street View, Jul 2020

stlawrencepiks
The Old Beauharnois Canal was completed in 1845. The Soulanges Canal opened in 1899. The Beauharnois Power Canal opened in 1932. The two locks at the end of the power canal were added by 1959 as part of the St. Lawrence Seaway project. The Soulanges Canal was closed when the Seaway opened because those two locks could do the work of the five locks on the old canal.

Dom Lemyre posted 11 photos with the comment:
AQUEDUC OF THE RIVER-SAINT-PIERRE 1842-43
•Remnant of the old Beauharnois Canal
•The only remains of the old canal still intact
•Allowed farmers and cattle to pass through both sides of the canal
•the old Beauharnois Canal passed over it
Dom Lemyre shared
1

2

3

We can tell from the walkway that this photo is looking in the opposite direction of the first two photos.
4

5

6

Dom commented on his sixth photo
This tunnel is about on the red spot.

7

8

9

10

11


No comments:

Post a Comment