|Richard Koenig -> Off The Beaten Track Branchline Railroading|
Indiana Hi-Rail CorporationThe Cloverleaf (Toledo, St. Louis & Western) was built in the 1880's as the narrow gauge Toledo, Cincinnati & St. Louis Railroad. It became part of the Nickel Plate in 1923. Norfolk Western sold it in 1988 to NRG, Inc. NRG contracted Indiana Hi-Rail to operate the line from May 1988 until March 1991. As with other customers of Indiana Hi-Rail, NRG because disgusted with them and EIRC took over operations in April 1991. (IlliniRail) It has an annual revenue of $1 to $2.5 million and 5 to 9 employees. (Manta) It interconnects with CN/IC in Neoga and CSX/B&O in Metcalf.
This line is former NKP—a portion of which, between Neoga and Metcalf, Illinois, was operated by the Indiana Hi-Rail Corporation for a time.
Number 332 is an Alco C420, former L&N 1332, nee Monon 515. It’s funny to note that the “1” was simply removed from the number board when going from L&N to IHRC. Image by Richard Koenig; taken in August of 1990.
|Excerpt from Cloverleaf Map|