Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Rock Island's Burr Oak Roundhouse and Yard

Satellite
Burr Oak is in Blue Island, IL at the northwest side of Blue Island Yard. I still don't know if they are two separate yards or two names for the same Rock Island yard. Also, IHB has a Blue Island Yard located in Dixmoor and Riverdale. This yard is now used by Chicago Rail Link.
David Daruszka posted
CRI&P Blue Island roundhouse. Metra still uses the turntable. Photograph courtesy of Steven J. Brown (www.photosbystevenjbrown.com)
Steven J. Brown David Daruszka I like my photos shared, even without permission, but please credit the photographer.
David Daruszka Steven, I hope the copyright on the photo suffices as credit. I will also edit the post to include your credit.
Steven J. Brown Thanks David Daruszka, I really appreciate it. I found the photo on another group credited to you - that's why I said something. I rather like my stuff being shared - thanks!
 
Barriger
Bob Lalich: Burr Oak Yard, looking NE.

Todd Pearson -> RAILROAD HISTORY BUFFS OF ILLINOIS
This is one of five photos that Todd added with the story:
With the picture of the Blue Island turntable goes a modern story of it. During the polar vortex a few years past, the pit had filled with snow on one side and the MOW forces tried to spin it with a front end loader. Well that didn't work. Knocked the pinion gear off the motor and into the pit. They then gave up and left the table out of any kind of alignment. Kinda hard to get the loco out of the wheel house ... Here are some shots of that whoopsie.
Note below near the bottom of the left-hand photo is a coaling tower.
1938 Aerial Photo from ILHAP
1938 Aerial Photo from ILHAP
Update:
Jeff Worones posted
A common photo seen many times before, but I noticed something new today. Look at caboose 19161 (in the foreground). The two plated over windows in the center are covered with steel from a different caboose. The right plate has "19" and the left I can't make out. Thought that interesting. Anyone have a better photo to read the numbers? Still a good shot, enjoy! Blue Island, IL slide developed 5-1981. Photographer unknown, Jeff Worones collection.
Mike Summa Looks like a view of the RIP track in the Burr Oak yards.J Pete Hedgpeth that's right Mike S. Those cabooses are siting on what was known as the "Wrecker Pocket". Back in the day the wrecker and associated "assets" ie kitchen and tool car were kept there along with the wrecker which was kept on "House Steam"Jeff Worones I keep looking at the blue shed directly above the caboose and would bet it's made from a pair of discarded bi-level racks.
Mark Hinsdale posted
Blue Island IL Roundhouse... 8-77

1 comment:

  1. I had read that the turntable had originally been in Shawnee, OK.

    ReplyDelete