|Scott Griffith -> B&OCT RAILROAD preservationists|
The engine house of the Chicago Great Western railroad at 46th avenue and the Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal Railroad 1915.
GTW's main Chicago yard was Eldson Yard. They had a route east of Eldson to connect to the Chicago & Western Indiana to gain access to Dearborn Station. As this route crossed the Western Avenue Corridor, they had a spur that went north along that corridor to their Railport Yard. Evidently GTW moved their engine servicing function from Railport to Eldson between 1915 and 1938 and Railport became a classification yard to service swithing local industries.
|1938 Aerial Photo from ILHAP|
Today it appears to be a third-party intermodal yard, Marina Railport, that is mostly container storage. They don't even use the tracks up the middle. Just the track on the west side.