Friday, January 1, 2016

B&OCT's Robey Street Yard

Scott Griffith posted
Robey Street yard near 14th place and South Ruby Street
Damen Avenue used to be called Robey Street.

Per KTL53's comment:
The C&NW Railroad purchased B&OCT land back in 1983 (12 years prior to the C&NW/UPRR merger) to combine with the existing C&NW Wood St Yard facility. The Global One Terminal opened in 1984.

1938 Aerial Photo from ILHAP
David Daruszka comment
Sanborn map
Scott Griffith posted
Update: Henry Freeman Looks like they are building the lead to Robey engine facilities. Lincoln Street yard is on the right.

Bob Lalich Lincoln St is now Wolcott Avenue. Photo looks north.
Henry Freeman posted
[This is a valuation map] showing the west end of Robey Yard and Lincoln St. Coach Yard.
Henry Freeman comment on the above posting.
Scott Griffith posted two photos with the comment "Was told these were inside Roby Street shops":

1

2
Scott Griffith posted two photos with the comment "Roby Street":

2

3

1
Henry Freeman shared
Robey Yard can be seen in the background of this photo.
[1963]

1960 Photo by James B. Redmond, cropped, Cornell (source)
[In the "source," Bob Lalich and Les Wuollett discuss a signalling detail that is beyond my understanding.]
Evie N Bob Bruns posted
B&OCT 2446 a class K-14 2-6-0 built by Lima on the turntable at Chicago on 7/6/1933
Brian Morgan Robey Street Yard
Bill Molony posted
Baltimore & Ohio class V-4 4-6-4 Hudson-type #5360 with the Capital Limited at Roby Street in Chicago in July of 1937.
Bob Lalich Not many photos at this location turn up. It was fairly inaccessible, except to RR employees.
Richard Mead Odd firebox, looks like a watertube boiler.
Dennis DeBrulerYou and 1 other manage the membership, moderators, settings, and posts for Chicago Railroad Historians. So the truss bridge in the background was for what has become part of today's Pink Line?
Dennis DeBrulerYou and 1 other manage the membership, moderators, settings, and posts for Chicago Railroad Historians. Robey Street is now Damen Avenue. This yard, along with B&OCT's Lincoln Yard, was bought by C&NW and became part of what is today's UP Global 1 Yard, https://www.google.com/.../@41.8620239,-87.../data=!3m1!1e3




Additional photos are available in this search result.


1 comment:

  1. Actually, the C&NW Railroad purchased Robey St Yard from the B&OCT back in 1983 (12 years prior to the C&NW/UPRR merger) to combine with the existing C&NW Wood St Yard facility. The Global One Terminal opened in 1984.

    ReplyDelete