Sunday, January 10, 2016

Northern Pacific's Monad Symbol

Dennis DeBruler shared
When I shared Stephen Kellogg's photo I commented "The colors of the Ying-Yang are rather faded."

Mark Green commented "Terminology: Railroad "Ying-Yang" symbol is called a monad."

I'm posting this because I'm worried if months from now I'll be able to remember "monad."

(Update: Marty Bernard's notes on the Monad.)
Raymond Storey posted
Elkland Pa....The B&O
Dennis DeBruler The photo also captures one of the better images I have seen of Northern Pacific's Monad.
I'm trying to figure out how B&O got this far north in Pennsylvania.

2 comments:

  1. This was the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad, bought by B&O in 1929 along with the Buffalo, Rochester and Pittsburgh Railway in an effort to build a shorter passenger route between Chicago and NYC. The Depression halted construction on the planned extension to meet the Reading at Williamsport and several stretches were abandoned after a flood in 1942. B&O sold what remained in the 50s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had thought Northern Pacific's Monad logo was in tribute to Northwest Indigenous art, but NP was explicit in saying it was pulled from the Korean flag after an employee was struck by its design at the 1993 Colombian Exposition.

    NP's promotional magazine Wonderland features a article with lots of detail. Being from 1901, the language used to describe Asian culture ranges from provincial to regrettable.

    https://archive.org/details/historyoftradema440whee/mode/2up

    ReplyDelete